Serving Portland OR – Vancouver – Camas WA
At New Image Dentistry we pride ourselves on the beautiful smiles at our practice every day.
Did you know your smile is one of the first things people notice about you? You don’t have to live with a smile that’s less than pearly white!
Introducing our NEW White for Life program!
How would you like to have professional teeth whitening materials provided for you every year for FREE!?
Yes, that’s right, you can choose either the custom made take home bleaching trays or our in-office Smile White Whitening system which will be given to you FREE OF CHARGE every year at your yearly exam.
To Qualify for Whitening for Life:
- You must keep your recommended hygiene appointments.
Your long term dental health is as important to us as it is to you. That is why we are happy to provide this extra bonus for our patients who are committed to their dental health.
- Provide at least 48 hours notice
if you need to cancel or change an appointment. If you must cancel your appointment due to an emergency, you must reschedule your cleaning within 30 days of your due date.
- Why Whiten?
- What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
- Careful Considerations
- Crowns & Fillings
- Gum health
- How Do I Keep My Smile White?
Types of Teeth Whitening
- At Home Whitening: Opalescence
- Whitening Instructions
- Extra Tips
- How Does Opalescence Work?
- Advantages of Opalescence
- In Office Whitening: Smile White
- How Does Smile White Work?
- Advantages of Smile White
Teeth whitening (or bleaching) is a simple, non-invasive dental treatment used to lighten the color of natural tooth enamel and is an ideal way to enhance the beauty of your smile.
- To lighten stained teeth
- To give yourself a reason to smile more
- Tooth whitening has been shown to heighten people’s self esteem
- Studies show that tooth whitening makes people look younger
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
Teeth can discolor due to aging, certain types of medications (tetracycline, etc.), fluoride stains, tobacco products, tooth trauma, and ingesting certain substances such as coffee, tea, dark pop, red wine, etc. Also, if a tooth is non-vital, it will darken. Professional whitening is the best option for safely lightening teeth.
Crowns and Fillings: While whitening has no effect on crowns or fillings, tooth whitening only whitens the natural tooth enamel; therefore, it is important to evaluate the shade of existing fillings, crowns, etc., as well as the need for future mouth restorations before bleaching. Replacement of any restorations should be completed 7-10 days after bleaching so the Doctor can accurately match the newly bleached teeth.
Gum Health: We consider your health and safety above all else. Patients that are experiencing periodontal gum disease may experience tissue damage from the bleaching solutions; therefore it is essential that we evaluate the health of your gums before proceeding with the whitening process.
How Do I Keep My Smile White?
Tooth whitening is not permanent. A touch-up maybe needed every several years, and more often if you smoke, drink coffee, tea, or wine. The most important part of maintaining a white smile is daily oral hygiene and brushing shortly after consuming staining foods and beverages. Regular professional cleanings will also help keep your teeth healthy and white. As time passes, your teeth may naturally darken slightly. However, by ordering our take-home refill kit, you can apply a booster whitening as needed. In order to help you achieve the final glow quicker, the refill is a stronger solution than the normal whitening gel (35% as opposed to 25%)
Types of Whitening:
Smile white only requires one thirty minute appointment during which a transparent mouth guard shaped tray is filled with carbamide peroxide whitening gel and placed in the patient’s mouth for 30 minutes where it is exposed to a bright LED light. The LED light activates the gel to lighten the teeth. Some people may experience sensitivity to the gel, but sensitivity should disappear in 24 to 48 hours. A desensitizing agent is in the gel that greatly reduces sensitivity.
During your teeth whitening the pores of your teeth are slightly opened in order for the whitening material to penetrate the stains in your teeth. For the next 24 hours, the pores of your teeth will be open after whitening; therefore, avoid eating or drinking dark substances that could re-stain your teeth, such as coffee, tea, dark colored pop, red wine, berries, candy, red sauces, beets, chocolate, etc. (a good rule of thumb is that if a substance will stain a white shirt easily, it will stain your teeth).
Smile White’s special gel is effective for removing stains. When applied to the tooth, the gel breaks down into water and hydroxyl ions (OH–) As these ions work their way through the dentinal tubules and into the tooth, they attach themselves to stain particles, breaking them apart, making the teeth whiter and brighter.
- Only one, short, 30 minute appointment
- Immediate results
- Little, to no tooth sensitivity during treatment due to desensitizing agents in the whitening gel and lower percentages of hydrogen peroxide.
You may not be eligible for Smile White if any of the following apply to you:
- IF you are not able to breathe through your nose for 15-20 min
- IF you are pregnant or currently breast feeding (Carbamide Peroxide MAY affect breast milk)
- IF you are under the age of 14
- IF you suffer from inflammation, bleeding, soreness to the gums
- IF you have a piercing in your mouth that cannot be removed
- IF you have not had teeth checked in the past 12 months
- IF you have had dental surgery within the last 28 days
- IF you have an allergy to Carbamide Peroxide
- IF you have active decay or fillings that are leaking
“I recommend Opalescence PF to other doctors because the results from patients using it are consistent. The sticky, viscous Opalescence PF gel is one of the most effective solutions I’ve used. My patients feel better knowing that the application of the gel also provides beneficial results such as improving enamel health and increasing enamel micro-hardness.” Dr. Frank Spear – Seattle Institute for Advanced Dental Education
This type of tooth whitening usually requires two visits. At the first appointment, impressions (molds) will be made of your teeth to fabricate custom, clear plastic, trays.
At your second appointment, you will try on the trays for proper fit, and adjustments will be made if necessary. The trays are worn with special whitening solution up to 3 hours a day for a couple of weeks depending on the degree of staining and desired level of whitening. It is normal to experience slight tooth sensitivity during the time you are whitening your teeth, but it will subside shortly after you have stopped bleaching. If you have sensitivity during the whitening, skip a day and then continue. Below is a copy of the care instructions that you will receive for your teeth and trays. Remember: consistency is the key to optimal results.
- Lightly brush and floss teeth
- Place a small pea-size drop of bleach in each tooth of your trays. If excess comes out, use a Q-tip to wipe away any extra solution.
- Wear as long as comfortable, but do not exceed 3 hours. If sensitivity develops, reduce the time you wear the trays or discontinue whitening for a day.
- When finished, rinse mouth and trays with warm water. Wait at least 1 hour before eating.
- Avoid over-filling trays. If excess comes out, reduce amount of solution next time.
- For extra help with sensitivity, brush with fluoride gel before wearing trays (available through our office).
- For best results, consistently wear trays every day for 2 weeks. Your teeth might become more sensitive the longer you do treatment, so stop once you reach desired whiteness.
- Keep trays for later touch-ups, especially if you are a frequent coffee or tea drinker (store away from household pets – they like to eat the trays!).
- Trays can be used to whiten single teeth. If a particular tooth is darker than others, fill this tooth individually and proceed with instructions above until the tooth matches the other teeth. It is normal for people to have slightly different-colored natural teeth. Replacement of any restorations should be completed 7-10 days after bleaching so the Doctor can accurately match the newly bleached teeth.
- Regular office cleanings will help to remove stain, polish teeth, and keep them looking their best!
In the whitening process, carbamide peroxide and hydrogen peroxide pass through the enamel and dentine where they break down into oxygen radials. After that, they proceed to break down the colored molecules that cause tooth discoloration. This does not change the chemical makeup of the tooth, only the visible color.
- Opalescence contains potassium nitrate and fluoride which decrease tooth sensitivity while strengthening enamel and preventing cavities.
- Opalescence gel is made of 20% water to prevent dehydration and shade relapse.
- Great mint flavor
- You are in complete control of when and how much you will whiten your teeth.
- Trays are custom made to fit comfortably and securely in your mouth.
- Trays are reusable.